Friday, November 9, 2007

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden

Billy Jamieson used to sing that song (Kenny Rogers?!) to my friend, Lizabee when we were in elementary school...good times. It’s bubbled back up through my memory to become my theme song for the last 24 hours. I’m going to take the high road and say that my exact complaints are not really the issue here ---they are not serious. --- Ahh…who am I kidding?! I can’t help myself! Venting has become a necessity. My issues are as follows:

1. My first Aussie cold
2. Stupid, immature dorm mates who continue to thwart my efforts to sleep --- and lastly
3. A yoga master who mocked me in front of a yoga class. Being a teacher and all, I spoke (actually sputtered) to him about it afterwards.

Bottom Line? THAT AIN'T NO ROSE GARDEN! My solution? RETAIL THERAPY.

Yes, my dear friends, with a take-away skinny latte, (2 sugars) in hand, and a tram pass to the two best shopping districts in Melbourne, I wished a mental “Namaste!” to my yoga “master” …and I hit the shops.

It was inspired, really. As luck would have it, it was not long before I happened upon Melbourne’s one and only lululemon athletica store! The sales staff quickly identified me as a Canadian, and from the West Coast, no less. I accepted their profuse thanks on behalf of lululemon (and it’s birthplace) for making it possible for Melburnian women to enjoy a tidy rearview! So of course, I made a purchase!

I headed off along Chapel Street to wander in and out of some boutiques that I will revisit when I am actually making money! (See! I exercised some restraint!)
I then took a tram to the funky Brunswick Street in Fitzroy, and invested in a beautiful Nicola Cerrini satchel for my laptop. She’s an Australian purse designer who uses beautiful silk-finish fabrics printed in gorgeous colours with Australian flowers and birds.
Satisfied, and light-headed from only drinking a coffee so far today…(I didn’t eat before yoga!) I headed home to my hostel, switched rooms and finished off my Thai take-away from last night.

Screw the Rose Garden! Flushed with fever and the glow of a successful shopping spree, armed with some Neo-Citran from home and a good book, I am just happy to know that sleep will come soon and sweetly.

1 comment:

Brad C said...

Quoting from one of Sam's favorite books "Alexander and the Terrible No Good, Very Bsd Day":

Some days are like that, even in Australia.

Love Darcy and Sam