Saturday, November 17, 2007

Driving in OZ is Fun, but...

1. Sometimes it's tough to get your head around driving on the wrong side of the road and on the wrong side of the car. I did have a relapse on my second day, and quite naturally pulled out of a turn into the right (Wrong!) lane. I drove on an empty road for probably 500 metres before realizing my mistake and correcting myself just before a vehicle crested the hill in front of me.

2.It's challenging to drive in the Melbourne city centre. There’s quite a few rules about sharing the road with the Trams… thankfully I left on a Sunday when trams run less frequently. I missed two turns on my way out of the city, but got turned around fairly quickly.

3.Aussie Road Rage is alive and well. I think I got called a “f*@#ing tourist” while pulling into a car park to correct one of my missed turns. Understandable! It IS TOUGH to remember that the windshield wipers are where you would expect the turn signal to be! And of course…the right and left clickers are opposite too!

4. Roundabouts. Still don’t really get them. I wait…and then I go fast and hope for the best!

5. Some road hazards: Marsupials crossing the road in front of me at night. Had TWO near misses with Wallabies when I was returning back to the hostel from watching the “Penguin Parade” one night (more about that later…). I don’t know…they’re like deer, only they hop.

1 comment:

Brad C said...

Please tell me you don't have to drive stick, too!