Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Spider Bite

Warning: Not for the Squeamish!
The pics show the progression of my Spider Bite infection over the course of 5 days. It’s not pretty to look at…so if you have a weak tummy…skip this posting!
Watching telly the evening before I go to the St. Kilda “Super Clinic”:

Chris: “So, you’re saying your leg hurts and it’s painful to walk on?”
Paola: “Yeah. I think I should maybe go to a clinic and get a doctor to look at it.”
Chris: “Ya think?!”



Having dinner Friday night at Sheila & Sue’s:

Sarah: “It looks like a volcano…”
Corri: “Are you really going to squeeze it?”
Paola: “Well, the doctor said I should…”
Sue: “Sheila would do it.”
Sheila: "Only if you want me to."
Paola: "Yeah. I don't know."



Sharing accident stories with fellow injured persons Saturday at Rosebud Emergency Room:

Paola: “….and so my friends brought their neighbour who’s a nurse over to give a professional opinion, and they convinced me to come to emergency and get this looked at.”
Ben, the JetSki injury guy: “Yeah look, that’s pretty full on. (points to my leg) You’ve got to take care of that.”
Paola: “Yeah…so what are you in here for?”
Ben, the JetSki guy: “Ah yeah…I had a jetski accident 5 days ago. Today I woke up with a swollen leg. I can’t walk, I have a fever and so I reckoned I'd come in to emergency.”


Signing in at the Emergency Centre at Angliss Hospital on Sunday, after a pleasant day wandering through Dandenong forest trails and a eating a yummy lunch with Sheila, Sue and their friends, Sandra, Linda and Kevin.

Triage Nurse: “So why are you here in Emergency today?”
Paola: “Well, I’ve got a spider bite that’s infected.”
Triage Nurse: “Can I take a look at it?”
Paola: “If you want to…it’s pretty hideous.”
Triage Nurse: (after looking at my wound) “Wow. O.k. I need you to know we’re admitting you now and you will be here for at least a few days.’




Assorted reactions to the wound site over the next two days:

“Hey! That’s a beaut!”

“I’ve lived in this country for 45 years, and I’ve never seen a spider bite the likes of that.”

“Welcome to Australia!”

"Well, at least you'll leave with a souvenir."

"White-tail was it? Yeah, good thing it wasn't a Red-back."

3 comments:

Brad C said...

Yeeesh! Those Aussies have some crazy creatures!

Paola Unger said...

Gross, eh?

K. van der Leeden said...

OH MY GOD!!!! You are a brave soul. Most important question: When can you surf again?? Remember there are no spiders in the water.... Is there Surf Therapy in Australia?
Love,
K.