Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Day at “The Tennis”

Australians love to attend sporting events like “the Cricket” and “the Footy”. The city is really charged now for the Australian Open. Now, I don’t know from tennis, and God knows, there has been at least one brave soul who has tried to teach me how to play…but let’s face it. I’ve got poor hand-eye coordination. That’s the solemn truth. I don’t think I’ll ever play, but after a full day spent watching some of the world’s best play some great tennis here in Melbourne….I’m hooked. I’m a fan now.
The day was a gorgeous 31 degrees, and I decided to find a sunny seat (they all were!) in the stands of Margaret Court Arena and watch Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia play Vania King of the USA. Daniela won and progressed on to the Second Round. She was OBVIOUSLY the crowd favourite. Perversely, I decided I'd cheer for the American. I was one of about three people who did!

You know, here's what I think...not to put too fine a PC point on it, but it's gotta be TOUGH playing a match against a tall, blonde, beautiful Slovakian when you're a petite Asian-American. The crowd kind of forgets that you're a world class tennis player too, and it could be anybody's game.... and there you are: an Underdog simply because you are an American without the long blonde hair AND you DON'T have long legs "up to HERE"! (Imagine a level somewhere around your shoulders, regardless of your height!)
Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!!!
With Australians like Leyton Hewitt, Peter Luczak, Rob Smeets and Chris Guccione playing on Tuesday, the Aussie Fan population was out in all their glory!
Check out the luck of the draw! My ticket to the 7:30 p.m. game at Rod Laver Arena turned into a fantastic double bill! Even with an upset tummy and a bum wrist respectably, both Roger Federer and Venus Williams won their First Round Matches, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself up in the nosebleed section!
Cutting edge interviews on the court after each match demanded the athletes answer these pressing questions: "I've notice the size of your earrings. Do they bug you? Where did you get them?" AND "Where does "Fed" spend his vacation and what do you do on vacation?" Hard-core sports journalism this is not!Venus (in all white) in play against Zi Yan.
Roger (in all black) about to make short work of Diego Hartfield. At the end of the day, I didn't get to see the yobo Greek fans get pepper sprayed, and, as t.v. commentary isn't heard in the arena during a match, I didn't get to hear the t.v. commentator's assessment of Venus' bum. It's okay...I didn't miss out! I heard all about the bad stuff today. Perhaps not everyone has good times at "the Tennis". I sure can't complain!

1 comment:

Brad C said...

I'm jealous. Always wanted to go to an actual match with some really good tennis players. I'll bet they move a lot faster in real life than on TV...