Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Cleaning Up After Schoolies:


I’ve spent the last two weekends down in Lorne doing some honest work at the Great Ocean Road Backpackers! I’ve been doing some housekeeping during cleanup/turnover days for “Schoolies Weeks”.

Schoolies Defined: Thousands of Grade 12 students going for a crazy party holiday on the coasts for 2 weeks after they finish exams and leave school. Australia’s answer to Spring Break in the States. Involves alcohol, sex, drugs, some random violence and a lot of rubbish.
So about 1500 kids rocked into town and partied their little hearts out! There was some housekeeping to do...let me tell you! I felt rewarded by the honest labour AND the daily surfing sessions in the early mornings and early evenings!


FYI: Some other fun definitions associated with schoolies…Toolies: Pervy guys in their late 20’s and early 30’s who hang about and pick up pretty young things during schoolies weeks.
Droolies: Pervy men in their 40’s and 50’s who just stare like creepers at pretty young things during schoolies weeks.
(Let's hope this doesn't ever catch on in Canada!)

3 comments:

Brad C said...

I am so glad we have left this time behind. I think we have fewer headaches.

I will call you back this week when my kids cooperate!

Love, D

Paola Unger said...

You have that right! Cool. I look forward to the call!

K. van der Leeden said...

CREEEPY! Nice Australian Advent Activities! Sounds like you're developing all kinds of new skills ... We are trying to find someone who can clean up after our Schoolies at Belmont at the moment. The grounds remind me of a garbage dump or perhaps an Australian beach during Schoolies Week...? Make sure you're getting your old job back and they are not taking advantage of the work experience you gathered down under! We miss you xoxo K.