Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Presence

I've been thinking that maybe it's just the summer season and warm weather that makes Christmas in Australia surreal.  Maybe it's being without the familiar family and friend rituals (Mom's tree decorating, Dad's boozy Xmas cake, coffees out with Lori and Darcy).... not to mention just being without the Canadian family and friends.  Maybe it's just feeling adrift because I haven't created my very own holiday rituals down here yet. And maybe it's time for that to change.

So, I'll begin by counting my blessings. In addition to some lovely time spent with friends this week, I have had some really nice Christmas presents already:
  • Lots of cards and little gifts from Canada and the States arriving in the mail. I don't wait to open them. I open them as soon as I get 'em!
  • A package that Mom sent with an incomplete mailing address made it to the Thornbury Post Office and was there when I went in to inquire about it. 
  • My mobile phone company waived a $500 charge on my account because of a clerical error. 
  • I've got another paid Directing gig lined up for next year. 
  • With a little help from my friends, I've got a fabulous FREE rehearsal venue in a great location organized for  January when rehearsals start back up for my play The Drowning Girls.
  • I've had a heap of grief with back pain in the last two weeks,  and it all seems to be settling down as I settle down. 
Here's some new vocabulary for you.
I'm taking to heart the Aussie phrase "Settle, Petal."
Definition: Chill out, Dude.;  Cool it, Sister.;  Relax, Precious.

I'm pretty sure I can do that.

    No comments: