Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Zen Bath


Water helps me think. It renews and refreshes me. The ocean and salt water encourage  me to play and they buoy my spirits. It's a bit of a distance to some clean sea water from the inner suburbs of Melbourne, so I sought out an alternative.
Tonight I went to the Japanese Bath House in Collingwood. It was beautifully relaxing. You leave your shoes at the door,  and you leave your clothes in a locker, and then, completely naked, you quietly and thoughtfully wash yourself  alongside a bunch of other  quiet, naked people (same sex, mind you). Your body squeaky clean, you sink into a clean, warm communal bath, and then sit and sweat in a hot sauna, scrub yourself again in a cool shower and repeat and repeat and repeat the sequence in any order you wish until it becomes a physical mantra of self care and nurturing. And you find stillness.

No comments: