Friday, July 9, 2010

Frosty

I've been doing a yoga intensive at my Local Yoga Studio this week. It's great, but it means getting up at 5:15 in the morning and walking to the studio to be there for a 2 hour class which starts at 6:00 a.m.
The early rise is a small price to pay for the privilege of spending some time at the beginning of my day fully in my body, and not in my head...


While those of you back in BC are enjoying a heat wave, Melburnians are "suffering" through a cold snap.  As I walked to the studio this morning, I noticed that the street lights highlighted the tell-tale sparkle of frost on the hoods and windshields of cars parked along the streets. Two hours later,  with a warm body and a restful mind, I stepped out of class and into bright sunlight... and sure enough.... frost! They call it "ice" here.

Walking home, I watched a man pause in the middle of a grassy median and step forward very carefully with one foot, placing all his weight on it. Carefully, he stepped back, took out his iPhone and snapped a picture of his frosty footprint. It's probably a good thing that he was wearing headphones because I laughed out loud! Silly Australian! .... but then I  too stepped off the pathway and crunched home across frosty grass.

the neighbour's car covered in "ice"

No comments: