Saturday, May 17, 2008

More VCA Jargon that drives me spare…

Aussie Slang Term: TO BE DRIVEN SPARE: Verb. To be driven crazy by something or someone.

**Ephemeral: Copiously overused in reference to the quality of the theatrical experience.

**Interrogate: Unrelenting spirit of curiosity that exists in the search for understanding in drama. Everything is under scrutiny: your aesthetics, the text, the characters, intentions, objectives, motivations, your directorial vision, your lunch.

**Imaginal: Having to do with the imaginary world an actor must tap into when creating a character. Refers to a skill set: a companion to the sensoral, physical and verbal skill sets. Exciting fact: Everyone has an "imaginal world"! (You could also say everyone has an imagination.)

**Parameters: A specific set of limitations or criteria placed on any process: Improvisational, Rehearsal, Educational. I mean, honestly…you could even place parameters on say, your food choices throughout the day: “Hmm…I feel ephemeral and imaginal today. I think I’ll only eat things that are vegetable and chocolate.” The options are both endless and clearly defined.

3 comments:

Peter Willis said...

parametres (??)
Parameters (!!)

Spelling Unger, Spelling!!!!

Peter Willis said...

Oh!, Um, 'tech_may_15_2008' is Peter,
That wierd (sometimes funny??) guy that's
married to Lori.

Paola Unger said...

I know, Peter...it's parameters. I think I must have been challenging my dark, Quebec nationalist side.