Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Canada Day!

Happy Canada Day to all my friends and family back in a land so 'glorious and free'. I hope you are enjoying heaps of good beer and barbecues and some fireworks too.

These are the ways in which I got to celebrate my patriotism here in Melbourne today:
  • I wore a splash of red with my de rigeur Melbourne black ensemble.
  • It was the last day of work at school before the semester break. I'm now on holidays!
  • The sunrise was amazing. (Thank you, volcanic ash cloud?)
  • I listened to my "All Canadian, All the time" playlist on my morning walk to meet my carpool buddies.
  • I have a student who has a Canadian parent, and she was sporting a temporary Maple Leaf tattoo to celebrate the day. She was excited to share it with me.
  • My students were exceptional in behaviour and in demonstrating their skill sets today... in all classes.
  • We finished teaching at 1pm, and had an afternoon tea in the staff room --- complete, in usual Aussie style, with a choice of beer, wine, cider or non-alcoholic beverages. (Side bar: sadly, drinking a Hahn Super Dry is not the same as having a Sleeman's Honey Brown on Canada Day.)
  • The sun shone.
  • I hummed the National Anthem.
  • I had pancakes with bacon and maple syrup for dinner.
  • The sunset was gorgeous.
  • I had an after-school nap, and then met a friend for a post theatre drink at a cool wine bar around the corner. I wore my Vancouver Canucks t-shirt.
Good times.

No comments: