Thursday, May 20, 2010

Who are we waiting for?

I splurged and spent an evening at the theatre this week. I watched Sir Ian McKellen play Estragon in Samuel Beckett's WAITING FOR GODOT!

I had this strange feeling at the interval that it was over, and I was ready to go when I realized that -- of course! -- there was still another act to sit through. For a moment I was disappointed. Perhaps I'd had enough of that waiting business.... funny that. So... I discovered that it's probably not my favourite play, and I was a little bit over it. Like Vladimir  says: "Will night never come!"

...but what a treat to watch Sir Ian! He's very funny.... and he makes it look so easy up there.
In the original UK production, Patrick Stewart and Simon Callow were in the cast too. That may have been sensory overload for me...I would have had to see it three times just so I wouldn't miss anything --- and I don't think I could've done it!

This production? Worth every penny for me......especially to watch McKellen and Rees do a wry vaudevillian soft shoe at their second curtain call!

No comments: