Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gold, Silver and Bronze

It may be summer here, but Aussies are really into watching the Winter Olympics. So many of them have travelled to BC to ski and snowboard on Whistler, Big White and SilverStar. Some of the people I've spoken to prefer watching the Winter Games because they are more "downbeat" than the Summer Games.
I'm sure Vancouver is anything but "downbeat" right now! It's pretty cool being a British Columbian abroad right now and enjoying all the positive press our province and nation are getting.

Some excerpts from some recent conversations I've had while watching the Olympics:

Alex: "So what's wrong with Canada? Why aren't you raking in the medals?"

Me: "I don't think Olympic athletes in Canada have as much financial support from local and federal  governments as Australian athletes do."
Alex: "That'd be right. (pause) Unlucky. (pause) .... but then, you guys have world class health care. 


                   
Guy in Pub: "Are you Canadian? What part of Canada are you from?"
Me: "British Columbia"
Guy in Pub: "Oh wow! I love Canada. I've never been, but I'd love to go. Do you ski?" 
Me: "Not very well, no."
Guy in Pub: "Do you luge?"
Me: "Um. No. Not at all."
Guy: "People luge though, right? Where you're from?"

No comments: