Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hot Days

The heat has hit Melbourne and Spring definitely feels like Summer! The last few days have been in the 30's. I tell you what, it's been warm enough to invest in a pedestal fan!

You can tell it's still Spring because it does feel cooler in the evening, and Aussies come out of their homes to sit in soft, warm air with beers on front porches.
I walked home from yoga class last night. It wasn't late, just 8 p.m maybe. Three doors down from my apartment block I passed an older Aussie gentleman I often exchange "G'day's" with. He was sitting on a low brick wall in front of his house in his chesty singlet, short shorts, and Blundstones (no lie!). After a nod hello I asked, as one does, "How do you like the warm weather?" "Bloody oath!!" he replies (again, no lie!).
In the house across the street from my apartment live this older Italian Australian couple who are often yelling at each other in Italian. I've named them Nonno and Nonna. We exchanged nods and smiles, and as I pass I ask "How you going?" They both shrug and the Nonna says, "Eees hot."

No matter which way you say it, it's hot... and Summer hasn't even started yet! While it's a pleasant change from the Aussie "winter", it doesn't bode well for bush fire season.

No comments: