Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Winter in Lorne

It's clear, sunny and cold here in Lorne. I've done a few days work down here this week. It's school holidays, and there's no teaching work in the city until next week.

Yes, the mercury is predicted to dip to 2 degrees overnight, and there are Frost Warnings in place for the state of Victoria. Aussies are beginning to get fully excited about "going to the snow" at Mt. Hotham or Mt. Buller. The other night, Matt, Jas, Alex and I watched snowboarding videos, and as we sit here tonight watching Tour de France coverage, adds on TV herald Christmas in July events. Funny, eh?

I am used to the winters here, I think, but it's still weird for me to think about it being winter in July and August. Someone asked me today if I was going to enjoy "an open fire in a fireplace" tonight. I had to laugh. It's just not an image that conjures Australia for me.

No comments: