Friday, July 31, 2009

Life's Funny Like That

I think it's important to recognize that we are all entitled to our "Dark Moments". I spent some time today in one. Sometimes life feels bleak, especially as I reflected on all that has NOT gone my way lately:

Item #1: A grand total of only 2 days relief teaching work in the last two weeks.
Item #2: Being overcharged for theatre tickets.
Item #3: Losing a Thumb Drive with 6 years of lesson plans on it.
Item #4: Pulling a muscle in my neck and spending my grocery money on Massage Therapy.
Item #5: Going on not one, but TWO tragic dates--- one with a guy who can't smile for longer than 3 seconds at a time, and the other with a guy who is planning a documentary on perineal piercings.(!!?)
Item #6: Applying for Arts Grants for a project I want to direct, and knowing there's no chance in hell that I'll get the funding because I'm a citizen in limbo: an Off-shore Canadian, and an Overseas International in Australia.

So when a call from the Melbourne Theatre Company came out of the blue, inviting me to Assistant Direct on an upcoming show, you just know I've got to listen to the Universe and recognize opportunities when they are presented to me.
I'll weigh my options carefully, remembering that...

This is one of the reasons why I want to stay in Australia.
There is nothing wrong with feeding myself on my Line of Credit for 6 weeks instead of banking the teaching work I could be getting.

You are never more alive than when you are taking risks.

2 comments:

Brad C said...

I am so excited for you. I wish I could be in the audience on opening night!

Love, D

Unknown said...

You are an inspiration, Paola!

Love, K (aunty)