Sunday, August 3, 2014

Hairspray


 




The last 8 months have been busy with rehearsals for the Senior Musical at Aquinas. This has been the first musical I've directed ever. I've been ultra resistant to participating in the genre. I'm not sure what changed... whether it was an opportunity to solidify my job at the school, a chance to take on a new artistic and logistic challenge, or a secret passion for jazz hands... But I took it on.







Maryanne, me and Ines.


What a great story! Great songs! Great characters! I've loved Hairspray since I saw the John Waters movie in my last year of high school. I missed seeing the musical in Melbourne, but of course I had seen the movie with John Travolta and Christopher Walken.



 A Stage Right view of the Baltimore sides of our Periaktoi Flats


I would be nowhere without the help of my choreographer Maryanne and my musical director, Ines. Our costume manager Sasha made sure everyone looked great, fat suits and all. Our rehearsal pianist, Adrian was with us all the way along, even in the orchestra during production week.



Our stage floor. Wonderful splatter!


Blood, sweat and a few tears and 8 months later, we had a show..... And what a show! Talented kids, amazing voices, gifted dancers and some authentic performers! 
 I'm super proud, very happy and uber tired.

The CCTV shows a full house on Opening night


No comments: