Friday, April 29, 2011

Random Messages


This week I was reminded that sometimes random interactions are extra meaningful because they seem to directly address my emotional state.

As he watched me stare at a chocolate bar I'd just bought from the canteen, a year 11 student said to me: "What's wrong, Ms. Unger? Ya gunna to eat that chocolate bar or let it go to waste?

Me: "I think I'd like to eat it."

Year 11: "Ya have to think about it?!"

Me: "...yeah. today I do."

Year 11: "C'mon Miss, get it in ya! It'll make ya feel bettah."

After he watched me unwrap it and take a bite, he patted me on the shoulder and said: "Atta girl, Miss. That's the way."

As I waited on my bike for a light to change at an intersection in Northcote, an urban hipster in skinny jeans pulled up beside me on his single speed road bike and said: "Hey. Thanks for wearing that dress today."

As he led the class through Tree pose, my yoga teacher said: "It's not how quickly you get into the pose and hold it that matters, it's the quality of your effort that matters. Remember that once you're in the pose, it's always changing, and even when it's over.... it will be there to do again in your next practice."

















No comments: