Sunday, December 19, 2010

Shopping for Xmas Gifts

There are such great places to shop in Melbourne in the city and on High Streets, that I have been able to avoid frequenting malls for the three years I've been here.
With my holidays and Christmas tasks officially starting this week, I needed to buy a very specific gift  for Andrew at a very specific store. There's only two of them in Australia, one is in Sydney, and the other is newly arrived here in Melbourne: The Gap.



For my purchases, I missioned all the way out to Chadstone, a massive shopping mall in the South Eastern suburbs, otherwise known as "The Shopping Capital", and the "Paris of the South". (Look, it's big, but it's not any West Edmonton Mall.)

I found the Gap in the Luxury section of the mall, down from Louis Vuitton and Jimmy Choo.

Look, if I really miss North American vanity sizing, I might mission down to "Chaddy" and blithely  purchase a size 0 or 2 again for a bit of an ego boost.  However, if it's a good deal I'm after, (and I love a good deal!)... forget about it! Melbourne will never see any of those great end-of-season sales you can expect at the Gap back in Canada. The average price for anything here was about $79....pre-Christmas sale price. Retailers in Australia may be desperate to get people in the doors as they compete against on-line shopping this year, but apparently the retailers in the Luxury section of Chadstone have a different clientele and a different interpretation of the term "price-reduction."

The salesperson who assisted me was delighted to discover I was Canadian, (like most Aussies, he had spent a ski season in Banff), and then shocked that I could live in Melbourne for three years, and only just now make my first visit to "Chaddy".

 It's true,  I'm now no longer a "Chadstone virgin", but I'm just left feeling a little underwhelmed.

1 comment:

K. van der Leeden said...

Happy to hear that all is well with you and you are enjoying life, love and shopping adventures down under!! If it puts your mind at ease, I was at the GAP yesterday and their sales are not what they used to be... so I decided to buy some books at Munro's instead! Not bad either!
Have a wonderful Christmas, Paola! Lots of love from BC. xo Katrin